Sunday, March 18, 2012

Why everyone hates Mumbai?

I know this is rather a controversial post this time but I feel it is important to express my experience of Mumbai.

Its been almost a year since I moved to Mumbai. At the start, I did not like Mumbai and everyone whom I interact still don't. People who I always turn for advise said that I will start liking it, however its been on the other side, now I hate Mumbai. This post is why I started hated this once a beautiful city.

1. It stinks big time. Wherever you look, its dirt and blackness. Bad politics and people loving gutters is a norm here.
2. Rains and world best sewage system: I don't think any word is required. 4-5 months when it pours in mumbai, it makes mumbai the worst. How can people live in flood for half of the year? For rest half, it is extremely humid.
3. Annoying taxi and auto wallas: It is quite tough to find taxi and overcharging is omnipresent. Forget those third class local trains, has anyone seen "Delhi Metro".
4. Few Marathi people like talking local language and take pride. God tell them that National Language in India is "Hindi", please talk in that if other person is not from Maharastha.
5. Unsafe: I don't feel safe, girls safety has been raised after recent incidents.
6. Expensive: You get shit for best of dollars. Moreover, no one wants to interact with each other, too much ego to this small life.
7. Lost night life: Not enough now. With few pubs and discs, people call it night life. How many times you can go out in one year and there aren't many options apart from pubs. People who don't drink, I can only say sorry.
8. Food: Believe me, the so called best "Bade Mia" is not even close of any Delhi roadside food. I just hope someone tell the stupid restaurants here how to cook even decent food.
9. Blasts everywhere: In last one year, it is very sad to see 2 blasts happening in Mumbai. If Mumbai police is most incompetent then why should people living here suffer. Get few commandos from Delhi.


For many, this post may seem anti-Mumbai but the point is the city has lost its charm and even true Indian like me doesn't enjoy it. Having cribbed so much, I would like to suggest Mumbai Turnaround 3 formula:

World class - sewage system, public transport and affordable living. We can see some projects not get approval in mid of city if our Marathi ministers go for break in Tihar. Anyways, it seems unlikely in near future so overall Rating of Mumbai:

If I count 20 cities of India, then I place Mumbai at 20. I can't think any worse city than this in India.

26 Responses to “Why everyone hates Mumbai?”

Anonymous said...
April 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hi Saumya,

I completely agree that 'Bade Mia' is highly overrated. I went there hoping to get some unique culinary treats created by fusing Mughlai, Mumbai and age old recipe's but it turned out to be a disappointing experience.

And for that matter Cafe Leopold also feels glorified, mostly due to absence of air-conditioning (ground floor), crammed seating arrangements and a namesake dance floor. Although, the food was good I am not too inclined to visit it in near future.

Thanks
Shantanu


Anonymous said...
August 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I know i shouldnt say this being an Mumbaikar, but I agree with Saumya, its a fact this city has become the worst place to live. since hundreds of people come here to get settled everyday, these people have made this place hell. you go anywhere its always crowded, traffic problem, you will see piles of garbage everywhere. I hate Mumbai. infact I hate India . I feel like I have born in shit......I hate being an Indian


Anonymous said...
September 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Mumbai has no culture of its own. Delhi has had a great cultural heritage and so has Calcutta but this city is extremely depressing.


Anonymous said...
October 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

See you can't compare Mumbai with Delhi.


Anonymous said...
January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Its about to be exactly one year for me to SURVIVE in this city while being fortunate to be born and brought up in Delhi. Initial experience coming right off the airport, When were the buildings last repainted and or renovated ..LOL

The biggest flaw of this city is hiding under the table and ignoring the reality..although being aware, still no action over it..REAL COWARD

" What they call is Mumbai-arrs are very warm and ACCOMMODATING...while warm behavior is partially true..accommodating is actually other way of saying we have no freaking thought to improve and hence don't give a crap for any development..

* Mumbai has pathetic infrastructure..but chalta hah
* Has messed up sewage system..but chalta hah
* Barely any place to have delicious street food but Bade Mia is best in the world (i LMAO on that itself)
* Dingy houses and depressing pigeon holes asking for massive rentals (WTF) but chalta hah
* Highly polluted, STINKY and garbage everywhere..that isn't supposed to be the aroma of real BOMBAY..but chalta hah
* We appreciate you like Marathi culture & language..but making it so inconvenient for other people and no info in HINDI/ENGLISH on public transport (at front of the bus)
* Pls dump your antique stone age buses and get new ones..even the freaking horn which cost a 100 INR isnt there..STILL love the BHO-PU BHO-PU ..GROW UP
* Customer service at any level of restaurant is seriously gone for a toss.. they don't have a sense of "customer is the king"

all the above and a lot lot more..and still you say..Ohh i love mumbai..its the electric city ..the city never sleeps (lol there isnt much space to sleep, probably that's why).. WHOM are you kidding, get a grip
the Youth in mumbai is far more arrogant and disrespectful than what I've experienced in other cities..

We talk about women security, agreed its safer..however do check your stats of mumbai too... Also, do check the stats for no. of DIVORCES..that will show you a new picture

We call it safe.. well the concept of DANCE BARS, UNDERWORLD, BROTHELS, BHAIgiri and HAFTA are the babies of MUMBAI

The reason you mumbai people are warm is because everyone is struggling thru this place and living in same situation... and ACCOMMODATING because they have lost the hope to IMPROVE

It's sad...


Anonymous said...
February 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Yes ,

You are right I also hate Mumbai.
I am from Nagpur.My father has been transferred from Nagpur to Mumbai.
Nagpur is very clean and amazing roads.

I hate Mumbai.When I entered Mumbai for the first time,a sense a very bad small of garbage everywhere.


Anonymous said...
February 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Love india but really hate mumbai


Tarun Verma said...
June 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Saumya,

There probably is no end to this debate. And, over the years I've been a part of many myself. That being said, I don't mind adding my five cents to the views expressed in this post.

Firstly the city might not be as clean as Delhi but the beaches and the close proximity to the sea does make up for it.
I've had similar experiences (as described by you above) with autowallahs in Delhi as well. And, I've also had some of the awesome conversations with some of the autowallahs in Bombay.

Marathi domination is there, but tell me one state apart from Delhi which doesn't give preferrential treatment to its localites? Be it the lingo, or the reservations.

What about the recent multiple blasts in Delhi, that happened two years ago? It sums up the security issue and how prone our country as a whole is to terror.

The food is relative. A Delhite might miss the Dal Makhani, that is cooked in the traditional stlye. A Mumbaikar might miss the bhel or the non-inclusion of vada pav as the street food.

Lastly, speaking from a neutral point of view. Mumbai has much to offer in terms of night life if you compare it to Delhi.

To sum it up, I have lived in both the cities for quite some time to observe that - Both are unique, both are civil, both have billionaires and both are corrupt.


Tarun Verma said...
June 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

You happened to miss one point above. The seasons.
That’s probably the best part of living in the capital. There’s always the absolutely fabulous winter to look forward to.


Unknown said...
September 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous said...
December 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous said...
June 28, 2014 at 1:26 AM This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous said...
July 26, 2014 at 8:32 AM

O this is hell...I am living (or suffering) here since 2013..I am looking for a job in Bangalore or some other cities...I don't want a job in this crowded overrated untidy hell...


Unknown said...
August 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Decades ago Kolkata had the same fate. But now it's improving. You can feel the air of improvement if you visit the city. Plus, the food is also very good. My friends from Delhi do enjoy them.
But unfortunately Mumbai is now seeing the decline. Plus, the food sucks. Nowadays if I visit Mumbai even if for some few hours, I just want to get the hell out of there. I try to avoid Mumbai as much as possible.


Anonymous said...
September 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I too hate this city to the core, bachelors are discriminated like terrorists here. North Indians are treated like untouchables here. If u have lot of friends here, u may not feel this, much, but try to survive alone, u feel like you are in some mental asylum. I have lived and worked in many cities, some of which are Hyderabad, Bangalore, New Delhi, Bhubaneshwar, Bhopal and Indore. Nowhere i felt like I am into any mental asylum unless i came 2 mumbai. You can be arrested for ringing at the wrong door, even though its just by mistake and you apologize for it. Even ringing the FBI office door is much safer. You can be be victimized for requesting your neighbour to reduce the volume of their irritating item songs' volume. A search warrant may be issued against you if u refuse to pay minimum 500 INR to some men, who claim themselves to be society secretaries.
I am not assuming these, I had to face these wierd problems, and the other mumbaikars are like, ye yahan ka system hai, aapko system ke hisaab se jeena padega. Ghantaa system. Fooding is not good. Laundry system ll loot you like 100 INR per piece of cloth just for washing, and people claim this place as famous for Dhibi Ghat.

Last but not the least, after facing such wierdest problems, which you ll not face even in the vostliest city in the world, Tokyo, where i was once deputed for 8 months, some Mumbaikars will come to you and say, "Now that you have come to Mumbai, you ll never leave it. You ll settle down here." i got so mad that i had to ultimately quit my job(even though my company was good), and sit jobless fir some months.

Completely unsafe town.


Anonymous said...
September 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Marathis are in advantage coz Mumbai is near to maharasthra (Note... Its 'near'). Marathis don't have their own intelligence, they just feed upon and want to grab evrything that the rest of us have provided in mumbai. being a business capital of india Marathi's are taking undue adavantage. When Marathis can travel all the way to Mumbai from other parts of Maharasthra to earn, why we as indian cannot come from other states ? Figures prove that Marathis are not from Mumbai.. they are all greedy selfish people coming to earn from other parts and infuse other states people as though others dont have any right. governments should take strict action and make mumbai a union teriirtory. You marathis.. why can't you find a job near your hometown... you do you have to travel and populate Mumbai of you are so intelligent.. its all that britishers have made Mumbai not you!!


Anonymous said...
December 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I hate I hate I hate this crowdy city every one running to pick their local/ Bus/Auto no one looking in relax position peoples are entered in local like a animal everyone lack of feelings. I resigned my government job After joining I feel I am in jail. I have no problem with my job but the problem was I feel alone. My friends are doing job in Mumbai no one wants to stay Mumbai but they have no option they are also government employ. Mumbai is the good city to travelling but not good to stay there forever


Anonymous said...
October 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Yes it is true but acc to me mumbai is a good place to live in


Aastha said...
November 2, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Guys.....this is really wrong. I appreciate Tarun's comment and would like to tell you all......EACH CITY IS UNIQUE IN ITS OWN WAY!.....Thank you....


Anonymous said...
November 11, 2015 at 6:41 AM

Haha Bhopal, the city with the maximum number of gas retards. Thats what the joke here is! Other than that people still come to work here. And they r most welcome. . .
Regards,
Soul born in Mumbai, living in another continent now. Peace!


Balaji said...
December 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM

And this is the face of India... This is supposed to be the Financial Capital! Imagine the brand image of India in the minds of foreigners after seeing such a dirty place? What is the deal with hiking real estate prices? Your buildings are not half as good as buildings in other parts of India. And even right next to a "Posh" location is a slum!

Mumbai is indeed a SLUM City!


Unknown said...
December 31, 2015 at 5:05 PM

i came to mumbai 10 years ago , solely foy my bread n butter , let me introduce you with sone fact Saumya ji which u might agree or may differ


Unknown said...
December 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM

delhi as a place is real good to visit geogrphically but non cultured citi where everyone is unsafe , leave alone girls not even boys are safe ,


Anonymous said...
January 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM

This blog and some of the above comments are posted by people who have come to this Mayanagari Mumbai from outside with typical narrow minded mind set. They will finally settle down in Mumbai and yet bash this charming city Mumbai bcos of jealousy they have Since their cities are not developed.


Anonymous said...
January 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Oh....I just love all you people whoever mentioned you hate this sucking place Mumbai. ...It is just hyped, overrated. People here run for money money money and nothing else. they run for life losing life. Warmth of the people here?...thats a big joke, its been 3 years I am counting everyday to get out of this place for one big reason there is absolutely no warmth in these people here. Too impersonal. Absolutely boring kinds and uninteresting. I just cant stand by them. rest everything about Mumbai right from Traffic, garbage, transportation those all are enough hated and I have nothing more to add. Cost of living is madness. To live a decent mediocre life that you can afford to live gracefully in any other city in India, Mumbai would cost you fortune and suck your blood to core. City of Dreams will definetely find you some money at the same time 4 times of its will be your cost of survival. ..........And Marathis? forget it to say anything. .... Overall, this city is just hyped, overrated and hyped again.


Anonymous said...
February 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM

city that never sleeps -_- yes because its too crowded and noisy that people hardly get to sleep. we spend most of our productive hours in trains or jam roads. We hardly get peace of mind, rushing and running for i dont know which race everybody is gonna win.. I wish to get out of this city asap. I was living in Delhi before my marriage 3 months back. I hate this city. And of course women feel safe here because nobody have time to look at you and harass you in trains and metro, everybody is running :P


Post a Comment

All Rights Reserved Edunology - Saumya Aggarwal | 2010
Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited