Sunday, January 29, 2012

IIM Bangalore and Pagalguy Case Study - Critical Review

Today I found interesting case study of Pagalguy.com created by prestigious IIM Bangalore. I have read 100s of case studies (not by choice) during my stay at International Management Institute, premier B School in India. I primilarly read Harvard Case studies which are treat to read. Few points that I found worth sharing on this:

1. Ill written. I have seen few case studies developed by our Indian B -schools but none of them come closer to Harvard case studies.

2. Looks like marketing document of Pagalguy. Main purpose of case study is to discuss the company, challenges facedby it and a situation on brainstorm upon. I found these key points missing. Apart from reading, I could not find a way to discuss it in my classroom.

3. Document touches only how the organization started, I would like to challenge about future. Don't you want students to discuss future and strategy required of dot com space in India.

4. Far too much advertising rate info. I know numbers are important to make case study but too many numbers make it a mess. Students will find hard time to make sense out of that information.

5. No lesson learnt. I personally feel reading one page wikipedia like page on pagalguy.com would be more useful than wasting my time on that 13 page note.



Conclusion: I know it is easy to criticize but our world class B-schools need to work on producing some serious quality case studies to make impact at global stage.

3 Responses to “IIM Bangalore and Pagalguy Case Study - Critical Review”

Rajat Mittal said...
May 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Dear Saumya,
I have seldom come across such a straight forward and Apt review on the approach and vision of such prestigious Institutes.
I appreciate your integrity toward's "Growth".

Regards
Rajat Mittal


Anonymous said...
August 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Can't agree more with you regarding this particular case.... but not true if you generalize. Try reading these awardwinning cases:

Trevor Fields and the PlayPumps of Africa

WaterHealth International: Providing Safe Drinking Water to The Bottom of the Pyramid Segment

... and many more. You can read them for free online.... In particular, look out for that author...


Anonymous said...
June 23, 2015 at 2:13 AM This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

All Rights Reserved Edunology - Saumya Aggarwal | 2010
Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited